So, was I ready to throw myself into recipe creation? Well, even though the result is good, I’m not sure I’m ready for this kind of creativity yet. Although, as they say, “never say never”.
OH, and do not use a mold for angel food cakes for this. Bread pudding is a heavy cake, which makes it very hard, if not impossible, to remove from the mold without breaking the cake. I’m speaking from experience. Maybe a bundt cake mold would be better (I really need to get one) if you want a fancy shape, but a basic round cake mold is good. Anything that allows you to unmold by turning it over on cooling racks.
- 3 cups milk
- 5 cups of bread crumbs
- 100g butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup walnuts or dried cranberries
- 70ml maple syrup
- Soak the bread in the milk for about 10 minutes.
- On medium heat, add the butter, sugar, maple syrup and walnuts to the bread.
- Stir until well blended.
- Off the heat, add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Bake at 400º for one hour.
- Let it cool. Serve with crème anglaise.