- 1 bag of unsweetened shredded coconut (14 oz.)
- 1.5 cup of sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredient in a bowl until well blended.
- Form small balls (1.5 in) and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool on a cooling rack (I just pulled the parchment paper onto the cooling rack).
- Next time, I will probably reduce the amount of sugar to 1 cup or make sure I use unsweetened coconut. I will also mix with 3 egg whites and only add the 4th if I need more binding.
- You can replace the almond and vanilla extract with any kind of extract you like that would be compatible with coconut. I used what I had on hand.
- When baking, you will see the sugar and egg whites spread, so that when baked, each rocher will have a "collar". I used a 2" round cookie cutter to remove that "collar", but wait until your cookies are completely cool.
- It is hard to determine when it is ready as the top browns but the inside stays gooey. I made the mistake of putting two sheets together in the oven and a couple cookies did not cook properly.